Friday, September 23, 2011

What years did Ford change their 3 speed transmissions to the 4 speed on the floor?

I have a 292 in my '59 ford and i would like to know if the 3 speed manual on the steering column can be swapped for a later model 4 speed manual transmission or if it's better to just change the engine also.|||That takes me back. When I got out of the hospital after having my tonsils and adenoids removed, my grandfather picked me up in his brand new 1958 Ford. Years later we inherited a 1960 Ford Fairlane (a full size car then) with 292 2-spd automatic from my grandfather's brother. At the time it was 10 years old with only 25,000 miles and my dad said probably never went over 25 mph. But as teen age boys, my brother and I blew the carbon out of it.





From info I could find on 59 Fords "Transmission options were a three speed conventional drive with an overdrive option, Fordomatic Drive two speed automatic, overdrive, and the three speed Cruise-O-Matic Drive automatic."





So I guess it depends if you want to keep it a period car. My brother's 38 Ford coupe had a 4 on the floor, but it also had a built Chevy 350 engine and Ford 9" rear end. The biggest Ford engine in 1959 was a 352 (which we had with Cruise-O-Matic in a 1962 9-passenger Country Squire wagon).|||Granny 4 speed or top loader shouldn't be an issue. If your wanting the 80's 3+1 four speed overdrive don't bother, they were junk.|||get a adapter plate and better yet leave it alone

No comments:

Post a Comment