Saturday, September 10, 2011

Can I use a different transmission oil for my Ford Explorer instead of Mercon ATF?

I have been looking for Mercon ATF to change my Ford explorer 2002 XLS - manual transmission but I don't get it at where I am. Am I able to use any other high grade tramsmission oil with causing damage to my transmission box? The workshop suggested a different type of oil and said it has to be changed a 20,000km. The Ford dealer I contacted had Mercon V and that is for automatic transmission.|||Fordstarted using Mercon V in all transmissions in '95 until recently. now they have mercon lv and mercon ls for automatics. definitely use mercon v.|||if it still has warranty, use the mercon, but since it is an 02, i think you can get away with using any good transmission fluid. you said it was a manual? i never knew that the exploder came with a manual tranny.|||As long as the replacement fluid say suitable replacement for Mercon you should be fine.


Anything that says Dextron III / Mercon should meet the specs for that year.|||ATF is automatic transmission fluid. My '89 Mustang uses automatic tranny fluid in the factory 5 speed.|||Use the Mercon ATF, that's what the owner's manual calls for. Anything else and you're taking a chance on either ruining your transmission or poor performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment