Saturday, September 10, 2011

After driving my 97 ford Ranger for several miles and shutting down the engine, I have to wait 5 min to restar

After driving my 97 Ford Ranger for several miles and shutting down the engine, I have to wait five/ten minutes before it will restart. This only happens once ever so often (one out of ten times) . What's causing this. It acts like the old days of vapor lock.|||I'd suspect it's the charcoal canister and it's plugged up. That allows the fuel tank to vent and you might have some negative pressure in the tank, not allowing the fuel pump to pump fuel into the engine. Next time that happens, unhook the hoses that goes to the canister (under the hood) and see if that helps. Get a replacement and you're GTG.|||This is a tough one. Extrapolating from experience with a 1994 model, I'd say that you have some suspect electronics somewhere in the engine-management hardware; I had problems with spark that were eventually traced to bad sensors and a faulty fuel-pressure regulator. Modern FI systems shouldn't vapor-lock, as they use from 40 to 100 psi at the rail, dep. on the regulator curve and manifold absolute pressure.





Any decent auto repair shop should be able to put the ECM through its paces and isolate the trouble, which in my case also included a primary coil pack (for the eight-plug 4-2.3) and a bad EGR flow sensor.

No comments:

Post a Comment